COVID-19 has affected almost every area of our lives. We wear masks to school, work, and the grocery store, focus on proper handwashing to avoid the virus, avoid going out to bars and restaurants, and many of us have begun working from home.
The moving industry is not exempt from these changes, and moving during the pandemic has certainly changed. But how has it changed? Find out now – and see what you can expect if you need to hire a moving company during the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
Studies Suggest That Moving Is On The Rise Due To COVID-19
COVID-19 has led to a lot of instability in the markets and contributed to major unemployment in The United States, but despite this (or perhaps because of it), many people in the United States are moving.
According to the Pew Research Institute, 22% of surveyed US adults either had moved due to COVID-19, or knew someone who had to move due to COVID-19. There are many different reasons that moving may be on the rise due to COVID-19.
● Some people may be moving out of urban cities where the pandemic is widespread and into suburban homes where they can be more safe from the COVID-19 coronavirus
● Mortgage rates are near all-time lows due to low US Treasury interest rates caused by COVID-19, which means that prospective homebuyers have a chance to purchase a home for a great price
● Some companies like Microsoft are adopting permanent work-from-home policies that may encourage employees to move into areas with a lower cost of living, or to move to be closer to family
● Widespread unemployment may be a contributing factor, as people move to find new jobs, or to a cheaper home to reduce their cost of living
Thanks to all of these factors, COVID-19 has created a boom in moving, and demand for moving services has been growing steadily throughout the pandemic.
Understanding How Movers Are Protecting Clients During COVID-19
Since the number of people moving is increasing, this also means that moving companies are facing a surge in demand – and they must be prepared to make changes to how they operate to protect their staff members and clients during COVID-19.
According to Threemenandatruck.net, most moving companies are adopting similar precautions to protect clients during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
● Wiping down boxes & furniture when possible – Some moving companies are asking clients to do this before their items are moved, while others may offer this as part of full-service moving. Using disinfecting wipes or spray, wood furniture, cardboard and plastic boxes, and other such items can be disinfected to protect both movers and clients.
● Temperature checks for staff – Many moving companies have begun performing daily temperature checks for moving staff, and have implemented screening questionnaires to ensure that their personnel are healthy and free of COVID-19 or other infectious diseases.
● PPE for all team members – Gloves, masks, and shoe coverings are all being widely used by moving companies to help reduce the risk of transmitting viruses like COVID-19, protecting both clients and staff members.
● Social distancing – Movers are staying six feet apart from each other and from clients as much as possible to minimize the risk of transmitting COVID-19, as the droplets from coughing or sneezing that can contain the virus drop to the floor harmlessly at a distance of six feet or more.
● Frequent handwashing & respiratory hygiene – In addition to PPE, moving companies are encouraging their staff to wash their hands before and after putting on gloves, after touching any contaminated surface, and regularly throughout the day to maintain proper hygiene.
In addition, staff members are being trained on proper respiratory hygiene, like sneezing or coughing into the elbow, disposing of contaminated tissues properly, and other such steps that can help enhance safety during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
Together, these steps help protect moving companies and their clients throughout the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, and ensure that families can still get the moving services they need to move to a new home with less stress and hassle.
Schedule Moving Services As Soon As You Can During The COVID-19 Pandemic
If you’re planning on moving with the help of a moving company, it’s a good idea to hire a mover near you as soon as you can.
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in a lot of demand for moving services, so hiring a mover early is the best way to ensure you secure the moving services you need on your move-out date. Find an experienced mover near you right away, and get the moving services you need during COVID-19 .