Honda is among the top automobile manufacturers in the world. It continuously supplies vehicles in different categories including sedans, SUVs, minivans and many more. The automobile company comprises an extensive line-up of SUVs including HR-V, CR-V, Pilot and a few others.
When someone talks about a family vehicle, both the Honda Odyssey and Honda Pilot come to our mind.With a massive seating space in its three rows, Honda Pilot is a perfect choice for families. It can carry up to 8 people and provide you with a lot of cargo space. Should you buy a Honda Pilot 2020? Here’s our neutral take on the Honda’s SUV giant to make your decision easy.
In A Nutshell
Before entering the detailed review, let’s take a look at a small overview of the car:
• Honda has added the new Black Edition in its Pilot line-up
• The pricing starts from $32,645 for LX and goes up to $50,715 for the black edition
• Honda Pilot comes with a V6 engine and the nine-speed automatic is available on Touring and Elite Trims.
• Fuel mileage is 19-mpg city and 26-mpg highway when the models are equipped with all-wheel drive. Without all-wheel drive, it is 20-mpg city and 27-mpg highway
• It can accommodate 8 people in its three rows
• It has 16.5 cubic feet of space when all seats are in use
• All the trim levels come with a standard easy to use touch screen. However, the advanced screen can be a little tricky for older people to use
• The pilot is equipped with numerous safety features including standard forward-collision alert with automated emergency braking, standard lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assist, and standard adaptive cruise control
• The limited warranty covers 3 years or 36000 miles, while the powertrain warranty covers 5 years or 60000 miles
The Pilot comes with an array of technological features including automated emergency braking, adaptive cruise control and lane-keeping assist. The automatic transmission combined with its great V-6 powertrain engine makes it even better. Another distinctive quality is its commendable fuel-efficiency.
Trim Models and Prices
• LX: $32,645
• EX: $35,525
• Touring: $43,715
• Elite: $49,215
• Black Edition: $50,715
The nine-speed automatic transmission, which gives better fuel-efficiency and increases the V6 engine’s response, is to get the car in the Touring model. This model comes with an array of stunning features including
• Ambient Interior lighting
• 20-inch wheels
• Rear entertainment system
• Hands-free power tailgate
• Wi-Fi hotspot
Some other great features which you can get after paying an additional amount includes:
• All-wheel drive system for $1900
• Heated seats for second-row only for $300
Honda Fuel Mileage
Honda is known for offering its cheap fuel mileage. When it comes to fuel-economy Honda Pilot surpasses many of its competitors. When equipped with an all-wheel drive and 9-speed transmission, the large-sized SUV gives 19 mpg city and 26 mpg highway, while with front-wheel, you can add one more mpg to both city and highway. The combined mileage in FWD is 24-mpg.
Engine and Transmission
The powerful v6 engine exhibits enough power that it can accelerate the Pilot quickly on a highway. With a strong 262 lb-ft torque, the engine is 3.5L and receives 280 HP.
The lower trim levels come with 6-speed automatic transmission, while both touring and black edition come with 9-speed automatic transmission.
The pilot may not be the toughest or heaviest SUVs in its category, but its large size enhances the cornering abilities. Moreover, the 20-inch wheels (which are available on upper trim levels) in Pilot make the rides more relaxing.
Interior and Comfort
The space inside the car cabin is quite generous. Most variants can accommodate eight people, which makes it ideal for families. Moreover, the in-cabin PA system can come in handy for parents as it allows you to watch and talk to the people sitting in back rows.
The upper-level trims have two captain chairs in the second row which are replaced with the three passenger seats. This in turn reduces the passenger count to 7.
The tall height of the car allows the driver to have a commanding position on the road and to foresee any accident or mishap ahead of time. Large windows also enhance visibility.
The New Honda Pilot is equipped with an array of stunning features. The huge cargo area, enormous seating space, a powerful engine and great fuel-efficiency make Honda Pilot a king in its midsize SUV category.